Getting Started with Interactive Email, by Alice Li
Alice works at Shutterfly, is an art nerd, a comic nerd, and a code nerd. She’s seen email start “interactive” as gifs and blinking… and then we went into different timelines.
How do we get back to progressive enhancement in emails? We want interactive emails that still work for people who don’t have email systems that support interactivity (which is almost 40% of people).
What are the benefits of interactive email? Shutterfly has seen:
- Brand experience and prestige
- 10% increase in revenue
- 10% CTOR
Examples and Inspiration
- Hover effects – images still look like images without them, but with them you can have the effect.
- Same is true for background colors that change, or buttons that update. Background images can also be set to change on hover.
- Animated slideshow – falls back to an animated GIF without fade-in transitions
- Code snippets: https://codepen.io/alicemeichi/pen/zdqzpv
InVision helps to see where hot spots would be. Overall, there’s a lot we can do with this!