Professionalization of Content Experience Specialists, by Aaron Roe Fulkerson, MindTouch
Exciting times for content strategists.
- Focus on customer first
- Think about metrics
- Focus on crossing silos
You are a content experience manager.
Five principles to customer experience
- Self-service is undeniably the preferred channel
- for support
- for purchase
- Companies that don’t directly engage with their customers are going the way of the dodo
- Survival of business is directly related to your ability to scale the needs of your customers
- Most businesses that have been successful to this point have done that by having 3rd parties for sales, etc
- 90% of business revenue is from current customers – so customer support is crucial
- Content is critically important to onboarding
- Subscription-based business models are the way of the future
- New channels demand new content
- Why are you using PDFs when your users are on mobile?!?!
- If voice-activated searches are high with your users, make sure your content is accessible to search
- AI and Automation will replace customer support jobs
- IBM says that by 2020 85% of customer support work will be automated
- We need to create content to support that
To be a content experience metric you need to be holistic in your thinking. Customers don’t care why or how you do it – they just want a smooth, easy, good experience. Put their needs first.