The Expanding Role of Content Professionals: Seize the Opportunity! by Victoria Koster-Lenhardt
Content professional: Someone who creates information that helps a consumer or customer make a decision.
For years the jobs were disappearing, but now they’re coming back, in fields related to ours. Because we’re the first to really “get” how content works on the web.
- At age 21, Victoria met the man of her dreams, and went to Vienna with him for the summer.
- Then she had to finish her senior year of college, and then got a job in technical communications at “Motor” magazine.
- She moved to Vienna and became a lovepat.
- She found out about a job at Coca Cola in Vienna, applied, and was hired. She worked there until 2010.
As a content “person” at Coca Cola she was…
- Technical writer
- working with PageMaker and Email
- Publications Manager
- Conference organizer
- Information Mapping
- Website, Intranet, Content development
- Validated XML
- Department of Outsourced and Internal communications
As a content person, you have skills. So the trick to getting the opportunities you want is to meet people.
- You may be a “networker”
- You may just meet people on bridges or trains
- “The opportunities are there because you grab them, you seize them. They’re all over the place!”
- The content work is so broad, you can find your dream job and tailor your experience on your resume to fit it.
- Your job should conform to the life you want. Not the other way around.
- We have to consider: what is our dream job? How can we get it?
- Believe in yourself
- Try new things, and be ready to fail
- Stay relevant and nimble. Be ready to use any and all of your skills
- Forget the job title. Describe what you do.
- Don’t follow the pack
- Talk to everyone, everywhere
- Share your epiphanies